Welcome to the California Department of Social Services

Right Column

Children’s Residential In-Person Orientations

The Children’s Residential licensing programs provide short-term or long-term care for children who are no longer able to live with their parents or guardians.

Foster Family Homes (FFH):

FFHs provide 24-hour care and supervision in the licensee's family residence for no more than six children. Care is provided to children who are mentally disabled, developmentally disabled, or physically handicapped, children who have been removed from their home because of neglect or abuse, and children who require special health care needs and supervision as a result of such disabilities.

Community Care Licensing provides Foster Family Home orientations and issues licenses for 19 counties in California. These 19 counties manage the placement of children and may have further requirements for Foster Family applicants.  For questions regarding specific county placement requirements a contact list for those 19 counties is available.

Regional Program Office information

  • Central California
    • Fresno (serving Alpine, Madera and Mono Counties): Call (559) 243-8080
    • Rohnert Park (serving Mendocino County): Call (707) 558-5026
  • Northern California
    • Sacramento (serving Amador, Calaveras, Nevada, Solano, and Yolo Counties): Call (916) 263-4700 
    • Chico (serving Colusa, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Sierra, and Trinity Counties): Call (530) 895-5033
  • LA Metro & Valley (serving Los Angeles County): Call (888) 811-1121
  • LA & Tri-Coastal (serving Los Angeles County): Call (888) 811-1121
  • Pacific Inland
    • Riverside (serving Riverside County): Call (951) 782-4207

The remaining 39 counties provide these orientations and issue licenses to their residents. Counties not listed above are available on the list of county contacts.

Other Licensing Programs:

Adoption Agencies (AA) – Organizations licensed by the State of California to provide adoption services and assist with the permanent placement of children to adoptive parents.

Crisis Nurseries (CN) – Facilities licensed by the Department to provide short-term, 24-hour non-medical residential care and supervision for children under six years of age, who are placed by a parent or legal guardian due to a family crisis or a stressful situation, for no more than 30 days.

Foster Family Agency (FFA)  – Engages in the recruiting, certifying, and training of, and providing professional support to, foster parents, or in finding homes or other places for placement of children for temporary or permanent care who require that level of care as an alternative to Group Homes. 
Group Homes (GH)  – Facilities of any capacity and provide 24-hour non-medical care and supervision to children in a structured environment. Group Homes provide social, psychological and behavioral programs for troubled youths. Included in this category are Community Treatment Facilities and Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelters. 

Community Treatment Facilities (CTF) – A group home licensed by the Department to provide health treatment services to children in a group setting and that has the capacity to provide a secure environment, but less restrictive than a pediatric hospital.
Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter (RHYS) – A group home licensed by the Department to operate a program to provide voluntary, short-term, shelter and personal services to runaway youth or homeless youth.

Small Family Homes (SFH)  – Provide 24-hour-a-day care in the licensee's family residence for six or fewer children who are mentally disabled, developmentally disabled or physically handicapped, and who require special care and supervision as a result of such disabilities.

Transitional Housing Placement Program + Foster Care (THP+FC) – A foster care program offered by a licensed transitional housing placement provider for non-minor dependents age 18-21, to provide non-minor dependents with assistance in developing the skills needed for transitioning to independent living.

Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP) – A foster care program offered by a licensed transitional housing placement provider for 16 and 17 year old minor wards or up to age 18, to provide minors with the opportunities to practice the skills needed to live independently upon exiting the foster care system. 

For those interested in obtaining a license for one of these facilities, or to find Orientation locations and schedules, please refer to the list of Children's Residential Regional Program Offices below.

  • Central California
    • San Jose  (serving Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara & Santa Cruz Counties).
    • Fresno  (serving Alpine, Inyo, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, Stanislaus, and Tulare Counties).
  • Northern California
    • Sacramento  (serving Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, San Joaquin, Solano, Tuolumne and Yolo Counties).
    • Chico  (serving Butte, Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity and Yuba Counties).
  • Los Angeles
  • Pacific Inland
    • Riverside  (serving Riverside and San Bernardino Counties).
    • Orange  (serving Orange County).
    • San Diego  (serving San Diego and Imperial counties).